Friday, January 2, 2009

The New Year is Here

I like to have goals for the new year. And what could be better than to have goals to improve one’s health.

What about 2008 
IMG_0190 This past year (2008) I made progress. When all is said and done, I lost almost 40 pounds last year. I had a little backsliding toward the end of the year. That was due to Thanksgiving and Christmas, and partly because I had to stop my exercise in December.

Jim in Hospital I had a heart attack last December. Does that mean my health efforts during the year were not effective. No! If I had not been exercising and if I had not lost weight, that last heart attack could have been fatal. Instead it was a minor heart attack with no damage to the heart.

2009 Comes with Resolutions
For this year I am going to target for a loss of 40 pounds, and that’s on top of what I lost last year. To accomplish this I’m planning control calorie input to a reasonable level, around 1500 calories per day.

I also have goals for exercise. I plan to complete 4-5 hours of cardio exercise every week (via the elliptical trainer or stationary bicycle). I also plant to do a balanced weight lifting regiment 3 times per week. The weight work is not to build bulky muscles, but to maintain muscle tone and bone density.

Scoreboards
I’ll maintain a scoreboard of my weight loss in the side panel. And if you want me to add your scorecard to the side panel, please let me know.

Something Funny

Diet2

Good to Remember
Don't dig your grave with your own knife and fork.
~English Proverb

1 comment:

SueB. said...

my healthy resolutions for 2009 are to attend my Weight Watchers meetings weekly,and to slowly lose 30 lbs by year end. I will continue to do cardio 5 times a week and strength training 3 times weekly.I also plan to return to clogging weekly ( which is GREAT exercise) and try kick-boxing!