Friday, October 24, 2008

Thanks, Becky

I received a very nice comment from Becky today (on Tennessee Granddaddy), congratulating me on my weight loss this year. She wanted to know how I did it. Just in case some others are interested, I thought I would share my approach with everyone. This is basically the Email that I sent Becky earlier today:

Dear Becky,
Thanks for your note and compliment.

While my weight loss blog is not up-to-date (It is up-to-date now), I'll have to tell you that my loss now stands at 40 pounds. I had been down to 45 lost, but with all the travel and upsets to our schedule lately it has been difficult for me.

Here's my approach. And, no, I did not join any groups.

EATING
I tried to limit my calories to about 1600 to 1800 a day. I did not do a strict counting, but if you are not familiar with calories you might want to write what you eat down each meal/day until you get familiar. If I went over one meal or one day, I would cut back on subsequent meals. I kept at it and did not quit. I weighed every day and I wrote it down. I would go days and days without losing, then all of a sudden I would lose 2-3 pounds.

EXERCISE
I began a serious exercise program with both cardio and weights. The company I retired from provides us a gym to use. I used an elliptical trainer for cardio. When I started I could barely do 10 minutes. Now I can do an hour! I also use 10 or more machines for weight bearing exercise, not for building bulky muscles, but for stamina and strength. Now I try to do cardio exercise 5 days a week, MTWTF, and weight exercises on MWF.

MENTAL
I had to make up my mind that I was really going to do this! Pep talks with yourself, and have someone close to you to provide for support helps a lot. I also plotted my weight on a chart, and that helped keep me going.

Where am I now? Well, I want to hold my weight loss for the remainder of the year, and then start again in January, 2009. With Thanksgiving, Christmas and all coming up I will do good to be able to hold my current loss. But I am not quitting, because it is not really dieting. It is changing the way you live: Eating right, exercising right, sleeping right, and enjoying life!

~~~
Stressed spelled backwards is desserts.
Coincidence?
I think not!

1 comment:

SueB. said...

Jim.. you are so practical, that is probably the reason you have been successful!